Technology is becoming more and more important in schools today. Important enough that not only are school districts hiring technology teachers but also hiring technology integration specialists. When I first heard the term "technology integration specialist", my mind automatically thought of the teacher that came into my classroom when I was in elementary school that taught me how to type and play math games on the computer. But that is not what a technology integration specialist is. A technology integration specialist is an educator who specializes not in how to do the basics on the computer (turning it on, typing, etc.) but instead an educator who specializes in how to most effectively use the computer as a teaching tool. It is the job of the technology integration specialist to teach the teacher how to help his/her students learn using the computer most effectively. I met one of these "technology integration specialists" during my student teaching; she taught my students how to use the computer to record their voices to make public service announcements about severe weather that could be shared on the school's webpage. Never in a million years would I have thought to have my students create something so awesome to show what they had learned about how to prepare for severe weather! Other teachers I talked with told me about how they were learning to use blogs as part of their homework regime; yet another piece of technology that I would never have thought to use with my students! The technology integration specialist is a very important person in a school because they help teachers meet the standards regarding technology (International Society for Technology in Education, 2015).
Students today use technology in and out of the classroom. In many places, it is rare for students to be without technology surrounding them in their homes: computers, laptops, TV's, iPads, iPods, tablets, cell phones, etc. The same technology is not always accessible at school. Some schools lack the funding to have the latest technology within their classrooms. Other schools have received grants to allow them to have a laptop cart, a smartboard, projectors, or iPads for the students to use. Teachers are expected to learn how to use all of these devices and be able to teach the students how to effectively use them too. Many teachers are embracing the use of technology in their classroom and trying to include technology whenever they can. Others are more reluctant to try it. They have taught one way for all of their careers, why should they change now? The world is changing and quickly becoming more digital. The teachers and the students need to be prepared for these changes and the best way to do that is within the school.
References
International Society for Technology in Education.2015. Digital age learning. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/standards-for-students
Samantha-your response on how teachers view technology is similar to what I have experienced. Working at a small, parochial school I work with many teachers who are stuck in their "old" ways and reluctant to explore the array of resources out there. I also agree with you that we cannot hide from the fact that the world is becoming a more digital place. We must embrace the change and be a step ahead.
ReplyDeleteSamantha,
ReplyDeleteI liked the points that you made in your blog. First, in your discussion about the role of the technology integrator, I think that you were insightful in how you now understand how the technology integrator is a much more important role in schools. As you mention, the technology integrator is not just a teacher who comes in and shows you isolated use of technology games and applications, but instead is integral to making teachers learn how to adapt digital platforms into their lessons to meet learning objectives. When schools introduce this position into a district, it is important that the individual that is hired makes a point of learning how the school operates, communicates what their role entails, and makes all educational parties understand why they are necessary to helping twenty-first century learners. Another point that I liked in your discussion was your point about how much technology students use today, but many schools are faced with budget shortfalls, and this circles back to the importance of a technology integrator. This person must seek out cost effective ways that do not cut corners on learning, for instance the use of Google applications in learning may offer a cost effective, yet educationally relevant solution to helping enhance student learning of objectives required in state and national standards. You raise some valid points about the role of an integrator and some obstacles school have to overcome to meet the needs of today's learners. All the best -- Anna B.
Samantha,
ReplyDeleteI like how you brought up the technology integrator's ability to help teachers meet the ISTE standards. I know a lot of classroom teachers at my school are unaware of these standards. It's important that teachers are aware of these standards in order to prepare themselves for the future of education. It's also important that a lot of these standards are modeled for the students.
Great work!
Jess
Samantha,
ReplyDeleteI like how you brought up the technology integrator's ability to help teachers meet the ISTE standards. I know a lot of classroom teachers at my school are unaware of these standards. It's important that teachers are aware of these standards in order to prepare themselves for the future of education. It's also important that a lot of these standards are modeled for the students.
Great work!
Jess
Samantha,
ReplyDeleteYou make some great points about technology use for teachers and students both in and outside of the classroom. Whether they are beginners or experts, both groups have their own expectations when it comes to how technology is used in education. From a teacher’s standpoint, they expect students to use technology for school purposes only. They also expect students to be educated enough in the technology where they do not need to stop the lesson to explain the technology itself. Teachers are using technology to enhance their lessons and the method in which they are delivered. The technology they utilize should be easy to use, efficient, and simple. Having to stop the learning process to explain a certain piece of technology is wasteful of classroom time and it ends up defeating the purpose of using the technology in the first place. Teachers also expect students to know when to use technology and when it is not necessary. This will give teachers a glimpse to see if students see technology in a school setting to help them learn or if they see technology as the focal point, in which they believe that everything should revolve around their devices.
From a student standpoint, they expect their teachers to be knowledgeable about technology and use it as frequently as possible. Students of today are going to schools proficient in using smartphones, tablets, laptops, social media and numerous apps. Many times, their knowledge of technology supersedes their teacher’s level. This is why it is important for schools to provide the professional development needed to educate teachers on the resources that are available to them and that they are given every opportunity to learn about new and emerging technologies. Students also expect teachers to use technology for authentic learning experiences. Students want their learning experiences to be interactive and productive. The do not want to use technology as a means of just replacing older methods, such as using an iPad to take notes rather than using a pencil and paper. This is why it is imperative that technology integration specialists work hand in hand with teachers and students in order to assess their needs and provide them with methods that will improve the overall learning experience.
I love the idea of having students record a PSA over weather safety! That is a neat idea. I enjoy integrating technology into my classroom. It has been a work in progress for me. I find that as I integrate technology into my curriculum I find that it sometimes does not work the way I had envisioned it, so I am constantly tweaking what I have done with my students. I am forever reflecting on how I could do something better. It is both a curse and a blessing. I have run into teachers as you have who are reluctant to integrate technology into their curriculum and I feel it is because they have stopped reflecting on what they do in their classroom. I think a technology integration specialist is key to this reflection process. I think they should encourage teachers to reflect on their current practices and guide them in using technology to meet the diverse needs of their students.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post!