Everyone who has ever gone on the internet has left a digital footprint. Many people don't realize that what they look at or pictures they post on the internet are acceptable to many different people. Compared to a lot of other people, I think I have a relatively small digital footprint. I do have a Facebook page that I frequent often and I do have a couple different email addresses (one for work/professional and one for when I order items online). Many of my other sites are for classes (such as Twitter and my Blogger account) or to check the news. Comparatively, my digital footprint is probably smaller than some of the elementary students I hope to teach some day. I will admit to posting many pictures and status updates on my Facebook page since I started it but I am always very careful about what I post or what I let people tag me in. I was warned when I started the teaching program at Plymouth State that potential employers could be looking at resources on the internet to see what kinds of things we've been posting. The thought was that if employers could see it, so could parents of students in your class. Therefore anything inappropriate should not be posted to our pages. Digital footprints can make a big impact on your professional and personal life.
For so many reasons, students should be told about their digital footprint from the moment they are introduced to technology. They need to understand the impact that making bad decisions concerning the internet could have on their future. If the students are taught from the beginning (maybe five or six years old) to be respectful of the internet hopefully they will continue to be respectful as they get older. Teachers and parents should be responsible for educating their students of the dangers of the internet; school is a great place for students to be introduced and monitored using the internet. It also helps if the teachers and parents are being good role models for the students; you can't tell your students/children not to post inappropriate statements or pictures online if you have been doing just that. Everyone needs to be aware of their digital footprint and the impact it has on the people around them!
I find that it is very important to remind people of that social media is one of the few forms of media that can get you fired very quickly. Also the increase in cyberbullying is scary. But this doesn't mean that it should be used in schools; digital citizenship needs to be a constant thorn in people's sides.
ReplyDeleteI like how you use the term "respectful of the internet" this is an interesting way to think about digital citizenship. I imagine respecting the internet is all encompassing like saying "respect mother nature." This includes not littering, not purposely destroying flowers, or taking the magnifying glass to ants. If we respect the internet we are respecting intellectual property, peoples' uniqueness and feelings, and so much more!
I am glad I read that statement. Great blog post!
I find that it is very important to remind people of that social media is one of the few forms of media that can get you fired very quickly. Also the increase in cyberbullying is scary. But this doesn't mean that it should be used in schools; digital citizenship needs to be a constant thorn in people's sides.
ReplyDeleteI like how you use the term "respectful of the internet" this is an interesting way to think about digital citizenship. I imagine respecting the internet is all encompassing like saying "respect mother nature." This includes not littering, not purposely destroying flowers, or taking the magnifying glass to ants. If we respect the internet we are respecting intellectual property, peoples' uniqueness and feelings, and so much more!
I am glad I read that statement. Great blog post!